Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 7: Five Things I Couldn't Possibly Live Without

I'm so sorry I'm late again! I was gone most of yesterday, and the night before when I was about to open Blogger... the internet died.


So anyway, five things I could not possibly survive without*:


 1. The Internet
Ah, the internet. The source of all knowledge... and much procrastination.


2. Books!

Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.




- Arnold Lobel

I won't be growing a beard anytime, but I do love my books! I just don't think I could live without them, fiction and nonfiction alike.

3. Horses
Whether it's riding, grooming, petting, crooning, training, or just admiring from afar, I am in heaven whenever I'm around horses. I can't imagine life without them.


Photo by nayukim on Flickr

4. Notebooks and Mechanical Pencils
I grouped these together because one isn't very useful without the other...

As a writer, notebooks are a necessity. While I compose the actual manuscript primarily on the computer, notebooks are perfect for jotting down notes, tidbits of research, character sketches, and everything else that comes to mind.

My favorite writing utensil is a mechanical pencil. I can erase my mistakes, and then retract the lead when I'm not using it so I don't accidentally scribble on random things. Or poke myself...

Photo by Mourner on Flickr

5. Piano
I would have a very hard time living without constant access to a piano or keyboard of some sort. A few days--or hours--without playing, and my fingers twitch with the yearning to pound out a Beethoven or dance to a Chopin. What a wonderful way to glorify God!

(For whatever reason, the majority of this post is showing up in bold. It's normal in the text box in which I write the post, but bold when I preview it. I have no idea why...)

* Obviously, there are much more important things that truly are crucial (Jesus, food, shelter, etc.), and, as 1 Timothy 6:8 says, "If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content," so I could actually live without these things if I had to. But I certainly am thankful that I have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog without comments is a lonely place.