Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

NaPiWriMo



This month I'm participating in an utterly pointless, very silly, and rather nerdy event known as National Pi Writing Month, or NaPiWriMo for short.

Inspired by the National Novel Writing Month, NaPiWriMo is a challenge to write a 500-word story during the month of September.

The catch? Each word has to have the number of letters as the corresponding digit of pi.

For example, the first word must have three letters, the second one letter, the third four letters, and so on.

No, there is no point in this, aside from a good many laughs (PiWri stories have a tendency to be extremely silly), and no, you don't have to like math to do it (in fact, I rather dislike math).

This is my first year, and I'm finding it's very difficult. I've given up hope of crafting a story that's anything but completely nonsensical, which makes the challenge all the more amusing.

Here is what I have so far:

"Sue, I love a great gladiator in armour."
"Steve, was Rome's gigantic gladiator actually imaginary?"
"You, uh, see, coliseum acts defied my morals."
"What are you speaking?"
"Sue, I'm talking purposely about my passions."

A pi-encoded story about ancient Rome--can you get much geekier than that?

If you haven't begun yet, it's not too late! You can find the first 550 digits (which equals 500 if you omit the zeroes) here.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the blog comment! Sounds like we DO have a lot in common. But you have the exact same shirt and skirt as the ones I'm wearing in those pictures?...I don't know if I can believe that. =/ ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really should do this...just for when I'm bored. :P

    :)Ian(:

    ReplyDelete

A blog without comments is a lonely place.